Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Come Together

That Beatles song was playing in the background as I entered "Olympic Park" this morning. 



There's something absolutely awe-inspiring about the Olympics, beyond the superior superhuman strength, endurance, and artistry that the competitors show: the Olympic spirit.

They talk about the "Olympic spirit" all the time on the television, but you can only slightly comprehend the true meaning of it. It's only when you're in the middle of it, surrounded by crowds, that you begin to feel it resonating within you.

The fans that you come across at the Olympics are unlike any that you'll probably ever meet in your life. They're ambitious, excited, energetic individuals that have traveled thousands of miles across the world just to see--possibly from the top bleachers, in the last row of the stadium--their favorite competitors show the world what they are made of. 

Not only that, but they are incredibly friendly and kind hearted (well, at least all of the ones that I met). Maybe it isn't the individuals themselves (though the people all seem to be innately wonderful), but maybe it is this Olympic spirit manifesting itself in them. The best way I can describe the Olympic spirit is that it has a similar affect on people that the Christmas spirit does. It makes everyone willing to give, to reach out, be respectful, and just simply to be happy. 

I met a lot of people on this trip from all areas of the world, but my favorites were, ironically enough, the Americans; running into people with familiar accents was so comforting! 

My favorites were these girls

Lisa, Liz, Gia, and Kim
I had heard them talking near me on the escalator, and it was just my luck to have them ask me to take their picture. After taking it, I had them return the favor (I asked so many people to do that this weekend, but they were so willing to oblige). Then we just started talking. Turns out, they all went to college together but are now in different areas of the country, and all doing amazing things. One works for St. Jude's Hospital doing advertising in D.C., another is in L.A. working on reality TV shows, etc. They were definitely driven people, but completely down to earth. It was fun to get drinks with them and just enjoy the atmosphere as the Brits cheered on their "Team GB" women's volleyball pair on the telly that were playing against Canada. 

Overall, the Olympics were amazing. I'll post again soon about the events themselves, but for now, I just am enjoying remembering the social atmosphere of the Olympics. It was truly something to marvel at.

1 comment:

  1. I love this. Makes me want to go watch the Olympics in person!

    ReplyDelete